Saturday, January 29, 2011

Broadway here we come!

When going to school, they only taught 1 through 5th grade.  We had to move in order for me and my sister to go on with our education.  Dad found a place on 117 East Broadway. This would be where we lived for about eighteen years.  Dad found a job working at  Service Station.  Mom Still worked at J.J. Newberry 5 and Dime store. In fact, she worked for 30 years there and retired later. The house we lived in had four family apartments and we lived on the bottom floor.  Have you ever lived in a place like this?  we did not have a telephone, car, or much money.  How do you work in those jobs without a car?  WE WALKED!  WE WALKED!  WE WALKED!  The secret to this puzzle is very easy to answer.  My mother walked 0ne block to her job.  My dad walked two blocks to his job.  We walked to Hickmen School,about Two blocks. Allowances!  What is that? The question next would be " who baby sitted for your parents" ?  My dad took me with him, also baby sitter some times.  We moved  when I was about 10 or 11 years. Thelma was 8.  I was shipped out to some of my cousins in the summer, but never knew who watched over us most of the time.  All I knew was work, work and work.  That was my thoughts at 11 Years.  I had to get job also.     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home