Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Grandad and Grandmother were Life saving

In order to become a normal family, must find a job.  At the worst point of the Great Depression , in 1933, one in four Americans who wanted to work, was unable to find a job.  This massive wave of unemployment hit before a food stamp program and unemployment insurance existed.  From now on we we will surmise what happened.  Not much was said about this time of trouble, maybe did not talk about this tradedy. 

First was to find a place to live.  Between 1932 and 1936, we moved four times, probable because finding a place can become a problem.  All the houses were within one or two blocks of Grandmothers house.  This is importment for I believed she was a baby sister, helping their daughter.  This was never mentioned to me or anyone.  My dad and mother tried to find a job, but they not able to find one. 

My dad had one eye and it did not help.  My mother found a job at S.H. Kresses, 5 and dime store.  She helped the family and dad find work at the State Highway .  That lasted a very short time because the party he supported , lost and so did he.  How can they work with two children to watch  The only was it would happened was need of a baby sister. Here is the reason of my thoughts on my granmother doing this great deed. 

What I remember was playing in the yard, at my Granny' s house.  Other things like the story.  Was very short and could not see on the table.  Reaching with my little hands I saw big candy squares on top of the table.  Reaching for that good candy bars, all of a sudden my grandma hollared " Don't touch those bars."  They were LIE SOAP!  I didn't touch that table anymore.  Out in the yard was trees with their barks all painted on the trunk. Never did find what that was for except keep me from climbing them.

On one cold night, when visiting .my granny's house, I came in the front doorand was really surprised!!  Their see stood, backed up to the fire place, with her dress hiked up and you could----well I was not suppose to see that when coming out of  cold.

Another thing was to watch the well water cups come up with water.  Sound silly,  but just presenting my case about the mystery of who was the baby sitter.

I could not have seen these things unless being there.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home